Saturday, January 15, 2011

Scrapbooking...I love school holidays !

Don't judge me -  I get excited about pretty paper, stickers and ribbon ! For those of you who are "uninitiated", I scrap - cutting photos, picking just the right piece of paper to frame it, adhesives, stickers, journalling....the whole kit and caboodle ! I get a real buzz  when I have and idea in my head on how a page "layout" is supposed to "look" and then it all comes together...I LOVE IT ! Unfortunately, due to time constraints and the pain of setting up and putting away, I dont scrap as much as I would like and thus, my albums are wayyyyy out of date. I LOVE school holidays because I get to scrap! Oh YEH !

My good friend Amanda Goodman has this quote up on her blog (I borrowed it - thanks Amanda!)
"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience."

Gordon B. Hinckley, 2006

My good friend Karen and I have "scrap days" down to a fine art. She brings her children, food and her scrapping stuff and between us, we feed the children and then set them free. (I think that maybe having two wives in the same house could work in this particular instance). Then we have a few hours to listen to music, chat and play with pretty paper ! Woo hoo ! This week we fit in two scrap days and plan on having a few more. We get competitive and try to "out scrap" each other just for fun.

As you know, there are HUGE floods in Queensland. While it is on the other side of Australia to us - it has give us opportunities to have some heartfelt conversations with our children and share in some "teaching moments". Our thoughts and prayers go to those who have lost so much. My heart aches for those who have lost loved ones as well as all their material possessions. It is very tragic and sad.

While scrapping my thoughts and our conversation went to those in Queensland. Karen and I decided that besides our families and their safety, one of our few material possessions we would want saved would be our photos in our scrapbooks. Why? Because those tangible  pictures have our happiest memories and they would bring us much comfort - should we ever have to face such a crisis. Now, if we can only figure out HOW we would pull off such a feat ...if the need should ever arise !?

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to scrap this hols! I kept meaning to but didn't quite get there .. either the inspiration wasn't there or the time just disappeared.

    I've often thought about how I would manage to rescue all my albums in an emergency too. I remember someone at a CM metting mentioning something about doing weight training just so she could lift all her albums to save them if she needed to. I think it was the same woman who said she had an evacuation plan for the children first, pets second and albums third. Don't know where the husband fit in .. lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is EXACTLY why I blog. If my house burns down or my computer crashes, all of my pictures and experiences are preserved on a remote server that can't be affected by natural disasters or children who like to ruin electronics. I love that quote, an dI am glad you liked it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete